Hunting is first of all conservation, and wildlife conservation measures are a must in a country that is mature enough to realize that something that is not being taken care of is destined to decay and perish.
Wildlife management attempts to balance the needs of wildlife with the needs of people using the best available science. Wildlife management can include game keeping, wildlife conservation and pest control. In Spain, the Ministry of Environment intends to pays special attention to wildlife management and adopts several Wildlife conservation measures, focusing them on the well-being of Spain´s natural world.
Hunting is a popular activity in Spain, with more than 2 million hunters, that is 5% of the population of Spain. With such a high percentage of people interested in hunting and, more that that, in the future of hunting, wildlife conservation measures are what they rely on. Some of these measures are the following:
Wildlife conservation measures in Spain
- Establishment of protected areas or areas where special conservation of the biological diversity measures are needed
- Maintenance and recovery of viable populations of huntable species in their natural environments
- Foster the recovery of threatened species
- Prevention of the introduction, control or extermination of exotic species
- Rise awareness of the population through campaigns that promote fauna and flora conservation
- Controlled access to the natural resources of the biosphere
- Creation of international networks that ensure protection of the habitats of wildlife species (Red Natura 2000)
- Strong legislation regarding hunting areas and allowed species
- Strict sentences against poaching
- Periodical census of huntable species and creation of official documents and Annual hunting plans according to the census
- Specific actions related to weather or natural disasters: example: provide food and water supply to wild areas in case of drought, fire or floods.
There is always room for improvement, but doing something is always better than doing nothing. These wildlife conservation measures aim to protect and benefit a healthy environment and density of population.